Wandering is a common symptom of those who have Alzheimer’s disease or another form of dementia—and it can be a serious one. Individuals with dementia can wander away from the safety of their residence, becoming lost, confused, or in some cases injured. This is obviously a big risk for the individual, but it also presents risk for care communities; elder care centers where wandering-related accidents occur pay, on average, $388,048 per claim.
Monitoring this behavior is something that caretakers must be vigilant about, and one of the surest ways to do that is to have wander management technology in place.
Which Wander Management System is Right for You?
There are a number of wander management technologies to choose from, and they are not all created equal. As you consider the best system for your aging care community, we’d offer a few quick points to consider:
- You’ll need a system that can provide awareness of all entrances and exits—ensuring there is no place where wandering could go undetected.
- A wander management system will require residents to be “tagged” in some way—and here, comfort and discretion are both issues you will want to consider.
- A good wander management system should provide both alarm functions, to alert your staff to any problems, as well as some more discreet ways to call a nurse or doctor.
- Integration with existing fire safety systems, motion detectors, and alarms is also something to weigh and consider.
- We’d also recommend asking about system maintenance, up-time, potential issues to be aware of, etc.
Choose a Wander Management Solution from Salient Networks
To get a feel for some of the options that you have available to you, we invite you to reach out to us at Salient Network. Learn more about some of the top-of-the-line solutions we offer, including Stanley Healthcare products, Accutech, RCare, and others. We’d love to discuss these options with you, and to help you find one that provides a good fit for your needs.