As of January 1, California’s new Emergency Preparedness Law is in full effect—and this has significant implications for senior living and eldercare communities throughout the state. Among other things, what it means is that each residential care facility must have an emergency and disaster plan in place. A key component? Having emergency call systems to ensure ease of communication and information dissemination.
Salient Networks is one of California’s leading providers of high-quality IT solutions, and we have a proven track record working with residential care facilities. We’d love to offer just a few quick insights into how IP phone systems (and other technology) can help you comply with this important new law.
IP Phone Systems, Environmental Awareness, and the New Emergency Preparedness Law
Salient’s IT professionals have helped numerous senior living communities to better prepare for potential emergencies. Here are just a few of the ways in which technology can help you keep your senior residents safe and secure, simultaneously easing some of the burden on your staff.
- Emergency call systems. First and foremost, it’s important to have functional communication tools that will work even in periods of disaster—and an IP phone system is the best way to ensure that you always have a reliable way of communicating, both internally and externally.
- Data and Wi-Fi networks. No matter the specifics of your communication and situational awareness technologies, you’re always going to need a robust and reliable network to run them—and that’s something the Salient team can help you with.
- Wander management. One of the greatest dangers that dementia patients face is wandering—the risk that they might become lost or disoriented, wander off, and become injured. A wander management system provides a discreet way to know where your residents are at all times, and to safeguard against anyone wandering off.
- Video surveillance solutions. In some cases, residential communities may also need to be able to see what’s going on in certain parts of their campus. A good video surveillance system provides a simple way to have a bird’s eye view.
- Access control. Access control technology allows you to restrict certain parts of your building or campus—ensuring that residents or staff members don’t go to places where you don’t want them.
- Environmental awareness and emergency response. Environmental awareness technologies allow you to always have a clear sense of any issues or crises happening in your residential community—and to trigger an emergency response when needed.
- Resident assistance services. Finally, we can provide you with in-room or in-suite options to let your residents call for the assistance they need.
Senior Living Solutions from Salient Networks
Communication technology is powerful for any kind of business. But for some businesses, it could be life-saving. Such in the case for the companies in the eldercare industry, especially senior living communities.
It is true that disasters are “unavoidable” but with the help of technology, the effects of these disasters can be minimized. That’s what the new Emergency Preparedness legislation is all about, and it’s something that can be achieved through the right implementation of technology.
Salient Networks is a leading provider of tech solutions for senior living communities. Reach out to our team to learn more about legal compliance, and the life-saving potential of emergency call and situational awareness technologies.