Most businesses have a wireless network infrastructure in place. This is what allows co-workers to easily share information, collaborate, and communicate across various devices. It also helps to ensure that all team members have easy access to pertinent information, whether that’s client records or information about particular products.
There’s one important aspect of wireless network infrastructure that is all too often neglected: Security. When we talk about network infrastructure and security, we’re talking about the policies and systems your business can put in place to prevent unauthorized access or tampering.
For businesses looking to become more serious about network infrastructure security, we’d recommend learning more about secure network infrastructure services. That’s a field we’re always happy to talk about here at Salient Networks.
The Importance of Secure Network Infrastructure
There are a number of reasons why businesses should be cognizant of the intersection of network infrastructure and security.
- When you secure your network, it prevents outsiders from stealing your bandwidth. In other words, it helps you protect company resources and use them as judiciously as possible.
- A secure network also protects you from the actions of hackers and cyber criminals. You won’t have to worry about either the liability or the lost efficiency that come when key information is stolen or corrupted.
- Network security helps you ensure that your team is able to work as productively as possible, and that there is no lost efficiency due to a network that’s more sluggish than it’s supposed to be.
- Finally, network security procedures help you monitor what’s happening across your infrastructure and have a better sense of how your company’s resources are being used.
These are just a few of the big-picture reasons why we’d recommend companies be committed to secure data center infrastructure management.
Getting Started in Network Infrastructure Security
So where should your company begin? What’s the best place to get started with securing your network infrastructure? Here are a few general guidelines from the Salient team.
- Start with a simple audit. What are the main components of your network infrastructure? What does it consist of? And what systems or procedures do you currently have in place to provide security?
- Assess your biggest threats. A second step is to make yourself aware of some of the biggest threats that an unsecure network pose. These might include phishing and other scams, as well as the actions of global cyber criminals. Take some time to read about the high level of risk that small and medium-sized businesses face.
- Educate your team. More than 90 percent of cybersecurity breaches are because of simple employee error, like opening emails they shouldn’t. Take the time to go over some basic online safety protocols with your team.
- Bring in the pros. Securing a network infrastructure can be a big job, and it’s wise to bring in a team of IT professionals who can look for all potential vulnerabilities, then offer suggestions for enhanced safety. Salient Networks is here to talk with you about securing your wireless network, at any time you’re ready.
- Be vigilant. Finally, remember that the work of securing a network is never totally finished; it’s important to remain attentive to the need to update programs, watch out for new threats, etc.
Contact Salient Networks to Learn More
If you’re ready to talk more about data center infrastructure management, or to find out how you can keep your network safe, contact the Salient team at any time. We’d love to talk with you further about the steps you can take to protect your company from cybersecurity breaches.